What is FSSAI?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous body responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety in India. The FSSAI was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSSA) to consolidate food safety management in India.
The FSSAI is responsible for developing food safety standards and regulations, and for enforcing and monitoring compliance with these standards and regulations. The FSSAI also provides scientific and technical support to the Central Government and State Governments in the formulation and implementation of food safety policies and programmers.
What are the responsibilities of FSSAI?
- FSSAI is responsible for:
- Regulating food safety standards
- Enforcing food safety laws
- Developing food safety policies and regulations
- Providing training and guidance to food businesses
- Investigating food safety incidents
- Providing scientific and technical advice on food safety
What is the FSSAI Registration?
The FSSAI Registration is the process of obtaining a registration certificate from the FSSAI to enable food businesses to operate legally in India. The registration certificate is issued to food businesses that meet the requirements of the FSSAI Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011.
What are the requirements for FSSAI Registration?
The requirements for FSSAI Registration are as follows:
- The applicant must be a food business operator (FBO)
- The applicant must be engaged in the manufacture, processing, packaging, storage, transportation, distribution or sale of food
- The applicant must have a valid premises registration certificate
- The applicant must have a valid license to operate a food business
- The applicant must submit a complete application form with all the required documents
To obtain FSSAI Registration, food businesses must meet the requirements of the FSSAI Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011.
What are the Types of FSSAI Registration?
- Central Food Safety Register (CFSR) Registration: This is required for all food businesses manufacturing, processing, storing or distributing food in India.
- State Food License Registration: This is required for all food businesses operating within a particular state.
- Local Municipal License Registration: This is required for all food businesses operating within a particular municipality.
- FSSAI Registration for Importers: This is required for all food businesses importing food into India.
- FSSAI Registration for Exporters: This is required for all food businesses exporting food from India. types of FSSAI registrations
What is the process for FSSAI Registration?
The process for Basic Registration is as follows:
- Complete the online registration form
- Upload copies of your business license and food safety certificate
- Pay the registration fee
- Receive your FSSAI registration certificate
What are the benefits of FSSAI License?
The benefits of Basic Registration are as follows:
- You will be able to sell food products in India
- You will be able to access the FSSAI logo to use on your food products
- You will be able to use the FSSAI online food safety management system
- You will be able to receive food safety alerts and updates from FSSAI
- Food safety license also increase the goodwill and ensure the food safety.
Eligibility criteria for a Food Businesses
The eligibility criteria for FSSAI businesses in India are as follows:
- The applicant must be a food business operator.
- The applicant must be a citizen of India.
- Slaughtering units
- Meat processing units
- Food processing units that provides Relabeller/ Repacker
- Proprietary foods
- 100% export oriented units
- The applicant must be registered with the local health department.
- The applicant must submit a copy of the food license to the FSSAI.
Documents Required for FSSAI Basic Registration
The following documents are required for FSSAI basic registration:
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- Passport size photograph
- Business registration documents
- Food safety management system documents
- Product registration documents
- Sampling and analysis documents
- Sanitation and hygiene documents
- Bank account details
- List of food products processed and manufacturer
Ways to Register Food License Registration in India
FSSAI registration is mandatory for all food businesses operating in India. There are two ways to register with FSSAI:
- Online registration: This is the most common way to register and can be done through the FSSAI website.
- Manual registration: This is for businesses that are not able to register online. The manual registration process can be done through the FSSAI website or by submitting a hard copy of the application to the nearest FSSAI office.
For more information on how to register your food business with FSSAI, please visit the ExpertBells.