QuickBooks Desktop users encounter several errors while performing different operations in the QuickBooks Desktop program most of these errors are directly or indirectly related to the company file. The error where you can’t access your company data can severely affect daily business operations, and resolving them becomes the need of the hour. One such error that we are going to make you familiar with is QuickBooks error 6147 that restricts a user from opening the company file throws an error message that reads, “This is not a QuickBooks data file, or there is a problem with the data file.” If you are also dealing with the error we are discussing in this article stick to this article until the end and learn how to resolve each cause that triggers the error in the shortest time possible.
Most of the errors that QuickBooks users encounter can quickly be resolved by basic troubleshooting. However, if basic troubleshooting fails to fix any error, users can contact QuickBooks support for help at +1 800-579-9430
A List of Reasons that Prompt Error 6147 in QuickBooks
- If your QuickBooks Desktop lacks the most recent updates released by Intuit.
- Corruption in the company file that triggers several errors can also trigger error 6147.
- Having the company file saved to an incorrect location can be a possible reason for getting error message 6147 in QuickBooks.
- If you have used special characters, symbols, or spaces in the company file name.
Moving further with this article. we will show you how you can perform some basic troubleshooting and resolve error 6147 with the least effort possible.
Read more :- If you occur or facing this QuickBooks Error 6143 then you need to follow these step by step troubleshooting guide to quick fix this issue.
Solutions that Quickly Resolve QuickBooks Company File Error 6147
Solution 1: Get your QuickBooks Updated with the Most Recent Updates Released by Intuit
- Run QuickBooks with administrative rights and go to the Help tab.
- Select the Update QuickBooks option, and when the Update QuickBooks window appears on the screen, move to the Update Now tab.
- Click the Get Updates option to prompt QuickBooks to check and download the most recent updates released by Intuit.
- When the updates are ready to be installed, restart QuickBooks and click the Install Now button to update your QuickBooks with the most recent updates.
- Retry to open the company file after updating QuickBooks and check if this resolves the error.
Solution 2: Rebuild the Company File to Recover from the Data Damage
- Run QuickBooks and select the Utilities drop-down from the File tab to select the Rebuild Data Utility.
- Let the Rebuild Data tool run and repair the damage in the company data.
- Once the data is repaired, open the company file in QuickBooks and check if this resolves the error.
Solution 3: Relocate the Company File to the original QuickBooks Desktop Folder
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Product Information screen by pressing the F2 key.
- Look for the location of the company file and locate it in the same location as shown on the Product Information screen.
- If you don’t see the file there, search it and move it to the original company file folder.
Finally, rename the company file and remove any special characters, spaces, and symbols. If QuickBooks error 6147 continues to bother you, contact QuickBooks support at +1 800-579-9430 for more help.
Read more :- If you getting QuickBooks Error 6143 then you need to follow these step by step troubleshooting guide to quick fix this issue.